Date: 1/1/18 6:36 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Tangent Bald Eagle roost
*
Yes, many perrenial crops in the vicinity of Seward and McClagan have been replaced with annual rye-grass. The perrenial crops often supported vole populations and raptors that ate them. The stubble of organically grown flax had been a roost for Short-eared Owls and is now gone. Pretty much all of this area may become hazelnut orchards in the coming decade, so enjoy these artificial prairies while you can. Lars
On Jan 1, 2018, at 6:03 PM, Mary Garrard wrote:

> Hi everyone, thankfully the skies cleared today so I took the opportunity to observe and count the Tangent eagle roost, first time this season. Often itís challenging to distinguish between adults and sub-adults in the gathering dusk but tonight there was a 10-minute window with clear slanting light from the setting sun between two layers of clouds. The white heads and tails of the adults simply glowed before the sun dropped behind the clouds at the horizon. It was a magnificent few minutes and one of the reasons I love living where I have access to the wide open spaces of the mid-valley.
>
> 4:15 pm 53 birds, 20 full adult.
> 4:30 pm 57 birds, 22 full adult
> 4:45 pm 69 birds, light too dim at this point to be sure of adult/subadult identities.
>
> Temperature was 41F and dropped into high 30ís by the time I left. Sunset at 4:44.
>
> In the past the surrounding fields were good for raptors including red-tails, rough-leggeds, and harriers, as well as short-eared owls. Tonight: a lone red-tail and a lone kestrel. Iím not sure why, except that the crops may have been rotated to something less appealing. Anybody have a theory?
>
> Happy New Year and best wishes for a great year for the birds!
>
> Mary

Join us on Facebook!