Date: 1/1/18 6:26 pm
From: Carl Kurtz <cpkurtz...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Roadside Foragers
Just before sunset this afternoon I found a small flock of Lapland Longspurs and Horned Larks just east of Hwy. 65 on Story County Road E-23. It is one of the most open wind-swept stretches of this road and where they seem to be seen year after year. It is where we usually see Snow Buntings as well. One Longspur and a Horned Lark had tiff over a spot in the adjacent corn field. It was only -10 degrees, that is 14 degrees warmer than the -24 New Year eve.

Late Sunday morning there was a Rough-legged Hawk just east of Binford Ave, about 1/2 mile north of E-23 in Marshall County.

Carl Kurtz
Marshall County
Central IA