Date: 1/1/18 6:11 pm
From: Al Eisner <eisner...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] New Year's Day near the Bay
For New Year's Day I did some leisurely birding near the Bay. I made a
late start, first visiting the public trail around Facebook in Menlo
Park. Near the parking lot I heard a SORA, hopefully a good omen.
As I neared the NW corner, Ron Thorn and Leonie Batkin arrived. I've
already posted about the HARRIS'S SPARROW, which provided good views
at about 9:15. (I'll include a brief description with an eBird
post later today.) We all also heard a VIRGINIA RAIL in the same
area.

Hoping to add Ridgway's Rail for the day, I next visited the NWR marsh
on the northeast side of East Palo Alto. But the only rail I detected
was one which gave a couple of sqawks when a NORTHERN HARRIER flew
low over it. (For that sort of call I'm not comfortable separating
Ridgway's from Virginia.)

Next over to Redwood Creek by Seaport Centre. There I saw a pair of
BARROW'S GOLDENEYEs with 18 COMMON GOLDENEYEs. A BELTED KINGFISHER
was also in the area, but no other ducks. The pond was full of water
(it is not tidal, but does flood at the highest tides). A single
tire was sticking out of the water, and on it was perched a
SPOTTED SANDPIPER. As I drove out I noticed that the number of
CANADA GEESE at the corner of Chesapeake and Galveston had
increased over what was there when I drove in, and with them was
an adult SNOW GOOSE. (Pink bill, not stubby, with a prominent dark
grin mark and no dark at the base of the bill; pure white plumage
indicated an adult.)

After lunch I visited the bayside area at Coyote Point. The tide was
rapidly going out, and haze limited viewing (making it hard to find
anything else with the hundreds of SURF SCOTERs beyond the concrete
slabs). There was a nice assortment of the regular shorebirds and
waterbirds, but I didn't find anything less usual. A few brief
stops in Redwood Shores after that added a few species, but none
worth noting here.

Good birding.
Al Eisner

Posted by: Al Eisner <eisner...>