Date: 1/1/18 6:06 pm
From: David Vick <or.naturalist...>
Subject: [COBOL] Harris's Sparrow, yes!
Thanks to COBAL posts and the generous and patient assistance of Coutney
Kelly Jet, I began my new year list with the Harris's at Bend Pine Nursery
Park (did you score on Pete's White-throated?). What a joy to look forward
to another year of birding. If you have been a casual birder like me
(until retirement) and don't keep a year list I strongly encourage you to
start today, it will make you a better birder to know what, when and where
and it is a lot of fun too! It was way cool that my last two entries for
2017 were Oregon lifers (my holy grail) with the Emperor Goose and the
Common Redpolls on the Madras CBC. A big shout out to all of our Central
Oregon CBC compilers, especially Mike Golden, Sherrie Pierce and Chuck
Gates, you rock!

On another note, when winter confinement turns my attention to the feeders
I enjoy the diversity of Northern Flicker intergrades between the
red-shafted and yellow-shafted forms that get pushed down from up north. I
haven't seen a single one yet and am curious if that is the experience with
other CO birders so far. Any thoughts? A happy and healthy new year to
you and yours.

David Vick
Terrebonne