Date: 1/1/18 6:07 pm
From: Bill Hohenstein via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Occoquan Regional Park Glaucous and Iceland Gulls
Hi all:

Both a Glaucous and Iceland Gull were at Occoquan Regional Park today. The Iceland gull was seen at about noon from the pulloff that overlooks the area in front of the bridge. I went back later in the day and just after 4:00 the Glaucous Gull flew in. There are numerous GBBG and Herring Gulls as well as Ring Billed there as well -- all ages and various plumages. The immature GBBG are easy to confuse with the rarer gulls. Look for very light colored gulls with light/white primary feathers that extend past the tail. I would age the Glaucous as a 2nd winter bird. The Iceland appears to be a Juvenile, smaller than the GBBG with an all dark bill. Here are links to photos and videos. I'm not 100% on the Iceland gull -- but don't know what else it would be.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73831614@N00/albums/72157662190931387

Bill