Date: 1/1/18 6:04 pm
From: Mary Garrard <springazure1...>
Subject: [obol] Tangent Bald Eagle roost
Hi everyone, thankfully the skies cleared today so I took the opportunity to observe and count the Tangent eagle roost, first time this season. Often it’s challenging to distinguish between adults and sub-adults in the gathering dusk but tonight there was a 10-minute window with clear slanting light from the setting sun between two layers of clouds. The white heads and tails of the adults simply glowed before the sun dropped behind the clouds at the horizon. It was a magnificent few minutes and one of the reasons I love living where I have access to the wide open spaces of the mid-valley.

4:15 pm 53 birds, 20 full adult.
4:30 pm 57 birds, 22 full adult
4:45 pm 69 birds, light too dim at this point to be sure of adult/subadult identities.

Temperature was 41F and dropped into high 30’s by the time I left. Sunset at 4:44.

In the past the surrounding fields were good for raptors including red-tails, rough-leggeds, and harriers, as well as short-eared owls. Tonight: a lone red-tail and a lone kestrel. I’m not sure why, except that the crops may have been rotated to something less appealing. Anybody have a theory?

Happy New Year and best wishes for a great year for the birds!

Mary

Join us on Facebook!