Date: 1/1/18 6:01 pm
From: <rosita94598...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Bodega Bay and other places New Year's Day
Technically, my first birds were the Great Horned Owl pair dueting at 5:30 AM downhill from our room at the Inn at the Tides, but the first seen bird was a Common Raven, followed quickly by a Eurasian Collared-Dove. We had lots of nice birds in the harbor, including Brants and Red-breasted Mergansers. But a highlight was Rosita finding the Rock Sandpiper, but not with the usual Surf Birds directly below the head. It was actually several rocks to the left and then at the farthest end toward the sunlight. It was with a couple of Black Turnstones.

When we returned to Diekmann's Store, we happened to meet Ron Storey, the first lifer of the year for me. He showed us a Spotted Sandpiper, and then we found the Orange-crowned Warbler he told us would be below the railing. We were going to look for his Pacific Golden-Plover at Doran Beach, but the line of cars to enter was backing up the hill around the entry curve.

We stopped at the Bodega Farm Pond, where we saw a single Canvasback and a young Peregrine Falcon. The falcon was chased off the edge of the mudflat by some Canada Geese, so it moved away 20 yards or so to drink some water. Another Canada Goose came over and chased it a second time. It flew to a fence post on the hill overlooking the pond, trying to figure out what was wrong with this picture, I'm sure.

The Carmody Road pond south of the hill was split into two parts. The part closest to the farm house had Least Sandpipers and 18 Snipes. The other part of the pond is covered with a kind of reddish duck weed, but still had a hunting Great Egret, Killdeer and a river otter.

We also stopped at Shollenberger on the way home through Petaluma. Lots of shorebirds and ducks on both sides of the levee from Point Blue. Noah Arthur and others were checking the gulls and all the rest of the birds.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Join us on Facebook!