Date: 1/1/18 5:46 pm
From: 'Dave Weber' <dwbirdster...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] My Jan ! sightings
Birds of note today: In Alviso, a male Blue-winged teal and the BW x
Cinnamon Teal hybrid, both in the slough at the EEC in the morning. Six
Burrowing Owls were along Disk Drive. At Ed Levin CP, a Slate-colored Junco
that I found on the SJ CBC was still on the Spring Valley Lawn. A Hairy
Woodpecker was next to the rangers office. Hall Memorial Park in Milpitas
early afternoon had the continuing female Mandarin Duck but not the Bald
Eagles. Bill Pelletier was there and mentioned Greater White-fronted Geese
way up on Sierra Rd, which I kept in mind. At Shoreline Park in Mtn View met
up with Mikes (Mammoser and Rogers) viewing a male Eurasian Wigeon way out
on pond A1. No Barrow's out there but there was the continuing male Hooded
Merganser and Redheads. Mike M said the Ruff in Alviso was there today so I
went there next, first finding the previously reported Lesser Yellowlegs
behind the pump house at Gold and Elizabeth Streets 2:45pm, then the Ruff at
3:15 pm about 100 yds north of the EEC entrance road, closer to the gate
than the tracks. Up on Sierra Rd Bill's five Greater White-fronted Geese
were at the stock pond across from the driveway to 5455. A large flock of
Lark Sparrows was near the end of Marsh Rd. Last stop was back at Hall Park
to see both adult Bald Eagle sitting in different trees in front of the
school. A great day with 103 species.

Dave Weber,

Milpitas

Join us on Facebook!