Date: 1/1/18 5:16 pm
From: Zachary Mercer <12mercer34...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Loggerhead Shrike Taylor County
Hi Birders,
This morning I was hunting near Lake of Three Fires north of Bedford
in Taylor County. I saw a gray and black bird chasing a Dark-Eyed Junco. I
later saw the bird on a power line and it was a Northern Shrike. It had a
large, thick beak and a slight barring on it's chest. At first, I thought
it was a Loggerhead Shrike but it had a more round head and Loggerhead
Shrikes are uncommon in Iowa in winter.

Zach Mercer
Bedford, IA