Date: 1/1/18 5:09 pm
From: Frank Vanslager <Vanslagerf...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Some New Year's Day Birding

All:

Around 9 AM there was a Prairie Falcon on a post in the marsh to the west of the Charleston Slough trail, dining for a half hour, or so, with some "gutsy" animal. A photographer finally showed up with a long lens, and could have gotten some good photos.

After lunch I went down to Palm and Dougherty to look for the Vermilion Flycatcher. After leaving to look for some raptors at the west end of Palm, I returned about 2 when the bird had returned and did lots of fly-catching from fence-post to fence-post. On the way home I did a quick stop to see if I could find the Common Loon. No luck with the trifecta, but I did end up with 85 species for the day.

Frank Vanslager

Join us on Facebook!