Date: 1/1/18 4:19 pm
From: <geodani55...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] New Year birding on Burlingame bayshore 1/1/18
Today I birded the bay shore of Burlingame from the end of Millbrae Avenue to Sanchez Creek Lagoon near the old Burlingame Drive-In site. Best birds today were 2 RIDGWAY'S RAILS & 2 MARSH WRENS at Bayfront Park near Millbrae Avenue. I also spotted an OSPREY hunting over the Bay further south near Bayside Park. A MERLIN made an appearance at the Anza Lagoon near the Embassy Suites hotel along Anza Blvd. There are hundreds of SURF SCOTERS, GREATER & LESS SCAUP, and all of the expected diving ducks, but nothing rare. I was surprised to find 4 SANDERLINGS feeding in the sand/mud with a SPOTTED SANDPIPER at the corner of Airport Blvd near the old Burlingame Drive-In site during the high tide. Also had a HORNED GREBE & a BELTED KINGFISHER in Sanchez Creek Lagoon at the top of the high tide.
Good Birding,

George Chrisman
Burlingame, CA

Join us on Facebook!