Date: 1/1/18 3:55 pm
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Mountain Bluebirds - 2 for the New Year!
This afternoon in sub-zero weather Joe Jungers and I found two Mountain
Bluebirds along Wilson Ave. south of Hwy 10 in O'Brien County. The two were
together on the curve to the east and one of the birds had a rufous wash on
the upper breast. After the initial encounter and binocular views the two
flew to a fence line further away but stayed put there for us to set up the
scope. Joe did get some digiscope photos of one of the birds. A flock of
Eastern Bluebirds was in the area but not directly associating with these
two at least while we watched. A vehicle went past us and we lost them as
that happened. We then combed a large flock of Cedar Waxwings working cedar
trees nearby but we could not make any of them into Bohemians. A small
flock of robins earlier was interrupted by a Sharp-shinned Hawk doing more
than just counting the birds as we were doing.

We did not see a single Rough-legged Hawk today but did find a wing and
feathered skin from one hanging posthumously on a highline wire along a
blacktop road. We could only speculate on what had happened there. All in
all, it was a Happy New Year in the Little Sioux River valley today!

Lee A. Schoenewe

Spencer