Date: 1/1/18 3:49 pm
From: John Bissell <john.annabissell...>
Subject: [ia-bird] New Year's Birding
I started my 2018 year list today around Polk County. Center St Dam is
birdless at this time due to nearly complete ice on the river around the
dam. Maffitt was almost 100% froze as well, but 11 Trumpeter Swans flew in
late in the afternoon to join a small flock of Canada Geese. There was also
a Rough-legged Hawk at Maffit.

Walnut Woods had the usual feeder birds at the blind. There was a Northern
Shrike just outside of the park over where the Osprey typically nests.

Finally, this evening I checked NW Polk County and I successfully located
the Short-eared Owl just south of the Organic Farm. Just north of the
Organic Farm across the Alleman blacktop, there were 3 Gray Partridge.
There was also a Rough-legged Hawk at Moeckley Prairie.

Good birding,
John Bissell
Grimes