Date: 1/1/18 2:54 pm
From: Max Thompson <maxt...>
Subject: Cimarron Grasslands
Another absolute frigid count. We had light snow all day with little
accumulation. The count was held Saturday December 30 with 12 participants.
With 4 of 5 parties accounted for, we had 73 species and will probably add a
few more when the last count comes in.

Notable was the 1,000 Cackling Geese on the sewer ponds. We happened to be
there last evening and they came in at dusk in a bunch and it was a sight to
see. People from Elkhart were talking about the enormous numbers roosting
there. Some of the highlights included 2 Virginia Rails (the Cimarron was
running), Wilson Snipe found by 2 Mallards that scared it up, Woodhouse's
Scrub-Jay, Mountain Bluebirds, Red Crossbills, Evening Grosbeak (2) and
Lesser Goldfinch (1).

Max C. Thompson

1729 E. 11th Ave.

Winfield, KS