Date: 1/1/18 2:13 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Annual New Year's Day Bird Walk Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park *

*2018 Special New Year’s Bird Walk Report*

Tim led our 5th annual New Year’s Day bird walk. Tim was joined by 19
other birders for the first bird walk of the year. We walked 3.9 miles
covering the west side of the park (Blue Heron Loop). The weather was cold
with temperatures ranging from 28 degrees at the start and 41 degrees when
we finished around 12:30 p.m. The weather was colder this year than last
year but the bird activity was better this year. We identified (seen
and/or heard) a total of 42 species this year compared to 32 species last
year.

The highlights were as follows:

· We saw all five of the expected woodpeckers including *Pileated*,
*Downy* and *Hairy Woodpeckers as well as Red-breasted Sapsucker and
Northern Flicker*. We got real good looks at the two *Pileated
Woodpeckers* as well as hearing their “wuk” call;

· We saw fewer sightings of *Golden-crowned Kinglets* and *Ruby-crowned
Kinglets *than last year. This year we only saw one of each species while
last year we observed 13 Golden-crowned Kinglets and 8 Ruby-crowned
Kinglets;

· There was a *Belted Kingfisher* back along the oxbow;

· At one location near the oxbow we saw a *Hairy Woodpecker*,
*White-breasted
Nuthatch*, *Brown Creeper*, a *Bewick’s Wren* and two *Steller’s Jays* in
the same area;

· We saw a couple of mixed flocks of birds that included *Black-capped
Chickadees *(9) and six (6) *Chestnut-backed Chickadees*;

· Part way through the bird walk we saw a flock of 10 Bushtits; and

· We also heard a *Varied Thrush* and saw a pair of *Wood Ducks* on
the slough.

A complete list of today's birds follows. *Our next SAS field trip* will
be at Minto-Brown on *Wednesday, January 3rd at 8:00 a.m. *The next SAS
Shorts trip is the Cascades Gateway Park field trip on* Tuesday, January
23rd at 9:00 a.m. *Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for January 1, 2018*

*Identified Species: 42*

245 Cackling Goose
3 Canada Goose
25 Canada Goose (occidentalis/fulva)