Date: 1/1/18 12:49 pm
From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Subject: [texbirds] 2018 Game
Greetings All:
This year the competition will feature three competitors and their counties
(Brandon Best with Hill County, Anthony Hewetson with Floyd County, and
Rich Kostecke with Lee County).

Again, we will be weighting our county totals to eBird county totals which
currently stand at 231 species in Hill County, 225 species in Floyd County,
and 238 species in Lee County. Species added to the counties during 2018
will not become a part of this weighting.

A change introduced this year - to make things fairer in terms of people's
work schedules - is that we only get two visits (to last no longer than one
day) to our counties per month. An addendum to this is that BBS surveys
will not count as visits unless the BBS surveyor wants them to: if a BBS
surveyor opts not to count the survey, species seen during the survey will
not contribute to his total. BBS routes tend to be much more species poor
than optimized routes and one of us did now want that counting against us.

The counties are close to each other in size and varieties of habitat
available with Hill County having the advantage of most permanent water,
Lee County having the advantage of a more southerly location, and Floyd
County having the advantage of a potentially better blend of eastern and
western species.

The person getting the highest percentage will receive a modestly priced
bottle of liquor from the second place finisher and the third place
finisher; the person with the second highest percentage will receive a
modestly price bottle of liquor from the bronze medalist.

While we will have a lot of fun trying to best each other, the best feature
of this is that we will be submitting all of our records to eBird which
will contribute a little bit to the understanding of three relatively
poorly reported counties.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner