Date: 1/1/18 12:28 pm
From: Bill Lisowsky <ykswosil...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Happy New Year—Sinaloa Wren at Santa Gertrudis
Like a dozen or so other birders, I decided to try and get a Rufous-backed
Robin for the year list at Santa Gertrudis late this morning. Several had
been seen earlier in the day across from #12, as they have for many weeks
but none were visible when I went by.
I went south on the de Anza trail until just past where it begins to
parallel the river when I noticed a Wren on the east edge of the trail
poking in the leaves. The bright white eyeline, striped cheeks and dark
barring under the reddish tail led to the ID as a Sinaloa Wren. We photo’d
and watched the Wren with other birders that came along as it moved in the
leaves in a generally north direction, until we lost sight of it.
Further south about 300 yards, along the west side of the trail we saw 4
Rufous-backed Robins, up high, eating a mix of privet and hackberries. On
the way back, the Wren was back in the original spot, and this time we
heard the distinctive ratchet call.

A lingering Western Tanager was seen by others along the lane.

Complete list and photos in Ebird later....a nice way to start the year.

Bill Lisowsky
Tubac, AZ