Date: 1/1/18 12:15 pm
From: Bob Fisher <BFisher928...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET New Year's birds
Karen and I checked out the frozen Operating Engineers pond on S Arsenal Rd for gulls this AM.
It was COLD!!!
We were able to pick out one each Lesser and Great Black Backed Gulls from among the roosting flock of gulls, because of their obvious dark/black mantles, but we were looking directly into the bitter wind and through the fence, so spent little time trying to find any of the other less obvious rarer winter gulls among the many Herrings and Ring-bills.

The gate was of course closed due to the holiday. But just as a reminder, if you go looking for gulls from their parking lot, etc., when the gate is open, do check in at the building to let them know - they appreciate birders' courtesy in informing them of your presence on their property.

Another New Year's gift for us - when we returned home around 12:30PM, at least 3 C Redpolls had shown up and were competing with the siskins and goldfinches on our sunflower chip and thistle feeders. We never had any feeder redpolls during 2017, so this was a great New Year's presnt for 2018.

And our now 'resident' Carolina Wren was foraging for seed on our patio shortly after dawn.

Karen & Bob Fisher
Downers Grove
DuPage County

Join us on Facebook!