Date: 1/1/18 11:33 am
From: Rick/Meg Andrews <andrews2727...>
Subject: Reno birds
Weird about the White-winged Scoter at the Grand Sierra Resort. When I viewed it at 8:30 this morning, it looked just fine. Maybe it got whacked with a golf ball.

At Cleanwater Way, there were 11 Snow Geese and 5 Ross's Geese, and at least 1 Cackling Goose. Firehouse Pond in Hidden Valley had 10 Greater-white Fronted Geese. I finally stopped to scope the new ponds on Pembroke Drive between Veteran's Parkway and Steamboat Creek. There were 2 Greater Yellowlegs, several Lesser Scaup, plus Buffleheads, Green-winged Teal, Common Mergansers, Gadwall, Common Goldeneyes, and lots of American Coots. Also over 100 gulls, but as far as I could tell they were just Ring-billed Gulls and California Gulls. Looks like this spot may be a good place to check for shorebirds in migration.

Meg Andrews
Reno

Join us on Facebook!