Date: 1/1/18 9:34 am
From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert...>
Subject: [texbirds] First Day Bird Walk at Sheldon Lake SP
Happy New Year!
Three brave birders were out at Sheldon Lake State Park for our "Kick off your list" Bird Walk on January 1st, 2018 at 8:00am. We started off our year lists with 36 species in 30F with 12 mph winds! Lots of usual herons and egrets hanging out around the ponds. The resident Least Grebe and Great Kiskadee were hanging out around the south ponds. From the John Jacob Observation Tower, we were able to spot gulls and the vultures. The pond loop trail was busy with gnatcatchers, kinglets, and, warblers.

Make sure to join us for our next bird walk on Saturday, January 20th at 8:00am.

Species Count
Wood Duck 4
Least Grebe 1
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Neotropic Cormorant 7
Anhinga 1
American Bittern 1
Great Blue Heron 2
Great Egret 2
Snowy Egret 1
Little Blue Heron 7
Tricolored Heron 2
White Ibis 1
Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 22
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Common Gallinule 1
Laughing Gull 10
Ring-billed Gull 2
gull sp. 50
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Kiskadee 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 1
Carolina Chickadee 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 3
American Robin 1
Gray Catbird 1
Brown Thrasher 1
Northern Mockingbird 2
Cedar Waxwing 17
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 8
White-throated Sparrow 2
Northern Cardinal 2
Red-winged Blackbird 2

Happy Birding!

Hannah Buschert
Park Ranger II (Lead Interpreter)
Sheldon Lake State Park &
Environmental Learning Center
14140 Garrett Road
Houston, Texas 77044
(281) 456-2800 x232
<Hannah.Buschert...><mailto:<Hannah.Buschert...>
www.tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/sheldon-lake<http://www.tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/sheldon-lake>

"People must feel that the natural world is important and valuable and beautiful and wonderful and an amazement and a pleasure." Sir David Attenborough

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!