Date: 1/1/18 8:18 am
Subject: Rockingham County CBC results
Let me know if you would like full results in excel

The 6th Rockingham Count Christmas Bird Count was held on Dec 21, 2017 with
temperatures ranging from 40-49 under clear skies and no wind.

9 observers in 4 parties tallied a record tying low of 73 species, just
slightly below our average of 76. We tallied our third highest 3,447
(average 3,484) total birds led by 1200 Ring-billed Gulls, 256 Canada Goose
and 170 European Starling.

One bird was new to the count checklist, a single Northern Pintail! Our 2nd
Bufflehead were also reported from the airport/Dan River sector. Our 2nd
record fish crow was heard at the landfill and for the second year in a row
an Orange Crowned Warbler was found at Mayo park for a nice 2nd record.

Other goodies include third records for Blue-headed Vireo, Gray Catbirds
and American Pipit.

Misses include Ring-necked Duck (2nd miss), Northern Harrier (2nd miss),
both acccipters, Bald Eagle (3rd miss), American Coot (2nd miss), Barred
Owl (2nd miss), Red-breasted Nuthatch (2nd), White Crowned Sparrow (2nd)
and Purple Finch (3rd miss). And after 6 years when will we ever find a
Brown-headed Cowbird!

Thank you all so much for your help! GREAT JOB!!! Our continuing goal is
to break 80 species…not bad for a foothills count!

Mark your calendars

Rockingham County Spring Bird Count May 1, 2018

Rockingham County Fall Count Sep. 11, 2018

Rockingham County Christmas Bird Count December 21, 2018

--
Brian Bockhahn
<birdranger248...>

Join us on Facebook!