Date: 12/31/17 7:07 pm
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Quick! Get Hummingbird feeders ready!

This evening I received Fred Bassett's "Hummer Update" recounting the
hummers he's banded so far this winter throughout Alabama and North Florida.
The warm winter we had until today made hummers hard to capture and band,
thanks to the abundant gardens and blooming plants hummer lovers maintain.
But as Fred said, things will get tough for hummers with this freezing
weather. I remember one bitterly cold morning a few years back when a tiny
Ruby-throat just sat and sat and sat on the perch of my hummingbird feeder.
It dawned on me that something was wrong, and I found the poor bird's tongue
frozen to the sugar water. A few droppers full of warm water freed him, and
I quickly swapped out the feeders. The bird was back before I could get
inside the house! Read below what Fred - Hummer Bander Extraordinaire -
advises:

Life is going to get harder for hummers with the approaching freezing
weather. If you have a hummer, it is important it has access to a liquid
feeder. Feeders will start to freeze at about 27 degrees and will freeze
solid at about 20 degrees. The easiest thing to do is to have at least two
feeders and switch them when one freezes. Don't fill your feeders to keep
them from breaking as the liquid expands when freezing.

<https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=HbIJAFEW&id=5D7A91C84
02BF1D0FA89949BF4C1DC66FD4658DB&thid=OIP.HbIJAFEWe9jNm3q6wRPVKgHaFb&mediaurl
=http%3a%2f%2fclipartix.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2016%2f09%2fHummingbird
-transparent-clip-art-image.png&exph=5867&expw=8000&q=free+hummingbird+clip+
art&simid=608023352284350930&selectedIndex=0> Image result for free
hummingbird clip art

This freeze will destroy blooms, so be sure to have your feeders ready first
thing New Year's Day morning. Use the 1:4 ratio of sugar to water. And if
you have a hummer, contact Fred right away. He might just be right around
the corner banding the state's rarest hummingbird.

Fred Bassett

(334) 868-9658

http//hummingbirdresearch.net

I hope you all have a hum-dinger of a healthy and joyful New Year!

Lucy Duncan

Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)