Date: 12/31/17 4:56 pm
From: Ronald- Thorn <Tronthorn...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] The end of the year recent sightings

Below are a few end of the year recent sightings.

Leonie and I had ( 4 ) ROSS'S GEESE in a group of ( 30 ) Aleutian Cackling Geese in the fields west of Highway 1 near
Bob's Produce Stand south of Half Moon Bay. The first time I have ever noted that many Cackling and Ross's Geese not
in flight over San Mateo County.

A large number of American Wigeon came into the pond behind the Nob Hill Market in Redwood Shores from Bair Island.
Included in the group were ( 2 ) adult male Eurasian Wigeons and an adult male Eurasian x American Wigeon hybrid.
The hybrid is most likely a returning individual for another winter.

( 2 ) More Barrow's Goldeneyes were noted at Redwood Shores. Both were first winter males.

White-throated Sparrows were noted, ( 1 ) at Portola Valley and ( 2 ) together at the Collage of San Mateo.

A Slate-colored Junco was coming into the seed feeder at Redwood Shores.

Happy New Years 2018!

Ron Thorn and Leonie Batkin

Join us on Facebook!