Date: 12/31/17 2:05 pm
From: 'Nancy Christensen' <nancy.r.christensen...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Harris's Hawk provenance
I wanted to speak up about the Harris's Hawk being seen in Ramona. Logan
Kahle had some interesting thoughts on the bird in his Ebird checklist: " A
little bit of pedantic rambling about provenance: It was my impression based
on the information at hand that this is likely a long-staying escapee, but
am more than happy to reconsider. Showed no obvious feather wear.
Additionally was relatively shy, becoming wary and eventually flushing when
we got within 50 yards or so. According to the landowner where the hawk is
roosting, the bird has been present for quite a while, and the apr 2016
record from the Ramona grasslands very likely (IMO) represents the same
bird. So, considering all of the above one of three seemingly reasonable
possibilities can be considered: 1) the bird is wild and has been present
for at least 18 months, and represenys the most westerly and most coastal
wild harriss hawk to ever set up residence in the state (as distinguished
from wintering) 2) the bird is an escapee and has set up residence in the
area or 3) the bird is different from the ramona bird, is relatively
recently-arrived, and could be either escaped or wild. My inclination is to
believe #2 due to the age and pattern of sightings. "

This is my third Harris's Hawk sighting in Ramona - the first being Oct 31,
2012. This was only 4 months after I began "birding" and I really didn't
have much knowledge about the relative rareness of any particular species.
When I saw the Harris's Hawk in 2012 (not too far from Rangeland Road -
still on the perimeter of the grasslands) I knew it was unusual and marked
rare on Ebird. However, the Ramona Sentinel had run a newspaper article
about a nesting pair of Harris's Hawks in Ramona. The specific location was
kept secret for the stated purpose that the landowner was concerned that
falconers might try to come and take the chicks. So I made the assumption
that it was a bird with low numbers in the county, but nothing exceptional.
I think around that time there were HaHa nesting in Jacumba as well.

That being said, if this current hawk is linked to that nesting pair in some
manner, I think it needs to be regarded as a wild bird and not a long-term
escapee. Logan's comments about this would be the most coastal of residence
is an eye-opener for me. I have written a note to the person who was editor
at the Ramona Sentinel at that time (I can only estimate 2010-2012, before I
was birding) to see if there is some way I can search for the article so
that a time line can be established. As far as I know, this paper has not
been digitized, so I may have to go read old copies to get the info.

Nancy Christensen

Ramona

Join us on Facebook!