Date: 12/31/17 1:49 pm
From: Rubba Johanna <jer72701...> [slocobirding] <slocobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [slocobirding] Lotsa turkeys

I know it’s not news that we have wild turkeys in the area, but today I had an unusual sighting. I took a long drive out Huasna Road east of Arroyo Grande. I front of a large house among trees, I saw a big flock of turkeys pecking around in the grasses. Something spooked them and they flew or ran across the road, and I counted 42 turkeys. A few stayed behind, and I was able to park less than ten feet away from them. Two males were displaying and gobbling. The gobble is quite loud and startling! I was also surprised at how comfortably they fly. Just like any other bird.

There was no sign of them on the return trip.

The only other bird I bothered with was a large hawk, I presume red-tailed—it was dark brown on the head and body, white chest and belly with streaks of brown in between. There were streaks of white on the back just below the neck. I noticed that the tail had thin horizontal bars, dark reddish and very dark gray (if I was seeing correctly in the light). I didn’t catch the top of the tail in flight. Is this a weird marking? Was I seeing things?

Johanna Rubba
Grover Beach

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional