Date: 12/31/17 12:31 pm
From: Leslie Flint <lflint...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Ano Nuevo CBC preliminary results
Hi all,

The Ano Nuevo CBC was held yesterday, 12/30, under mostly sunny skies. The Ano Nuevo count ranges from Ano Nuevo State Park to San Gregorio Road, up Pescadero Road to almost La Honda and southeast including a pretty big section of Big Basin State Park.

Preliminary total (pending review of rarities) was 159 species. This is below our 20 year average of 167 species (our low during that period was 154 in 2014 and the high was 182 in 1997). Except for the seawatch at Pigeon Point (counting about 9000 gulls) people reported low numbers of birds in general.

However we had some fantastic highlights: the NORTHERN GANNET was seen for the first time on this count (now San Mateo County has 2 CBCs with records of this bird). It was seen flying by the Ano Nuevo and the Pescadero Marsh teams. RED-NAPED SAPSUCKERS were reported by two teams on private land (San Gregorio Road and Pescadero Road); the returning YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER on Stage Road; a GLAUCOUS GULL in the gull flock at Gazos Beach. A EURASIAN GREEN-WINGED TEAL was seen by the Pescadero Marsh team. While not officially countable, it is a great bird to find nonetheless.

I am sure the various teams will chime in with their own reports. I want to thank everyone for their participation and look forward to next year!~

Leslie Flint
CBC Coordinator
San Mateo

Posted by: Leslie Flint <lflint...>