Date: 12/31/17 11:56 am
From: <maliadances...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Ano Nuevo CBC -1a - recap and some thanks
Chris and I were joined yesterday by Devin Peyton and Rebecca Wynd for area 1a for the Ano Nuevo CBC held yesterday. We birded private properties along La Honda Rd. in San Gregorio. We observed about 40 species total. Though our area does not yield high species totals, we had the opportunity to enjoy studying sapsuckers. On Nov. 1, 2017 Devin Peyton found a Red-naped Sapsucker. He has been observing it almost daily roughly through mid-November. Then it started to be less consistently seen. Yesterday however, it showed itself for the Christmas bird count! Also present on the property was a Red-breasted Sapsucker. In fact the Red-breasted chased the Red-naped, or vice versa, just before Chris and I were able to get photos of the Red-naped. Once things settled down, we were able to photograph the Red-naped Sapsucker. Moving on to another property, another sapsucker was encountered. This one was a bit trickier and appeared to show characters of both Red-naped and Red-breasted. But we had fun observing it and comparing it to the other 2 sapsuckers we had seen earlier in the day. Other highlights were seeing Varied Thrush and good looks at Golden-crowned Kinglet. Our checklists are here and comments welcome.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41447700 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41447700

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41452101 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41452101

We’d like to thank Devin for contacting us and “hanging on” to the bird for the CBC! Also thanks to Leslie and Chris O’Connell (was it both of you or was it one of you?) for organizing the compilation dinner, which is always so much fun out there are the “Barn”. Thanks to Al DeMartini for being the master of ceremonies and special thanks to Chris O’Connell for all you do for Sequoia Audubon Society and for your generosity to all us CBC counters!

Happy New Year!
Malia DeFelice and Chris Hayward

Join us on Facebook!