Date: 12/31/17 11:12 am
From: John Jones <johnjonesbirder...>
Subject: [cobirds] Wintering Marsh Wrens along the Front Range
Hello cobirders-

I was walking along the Platte River the other day and had a wintering
Marsh Wren there, which surprised me, though I know they winter along the
Front Range. This got me thinking about the Eastern vs Western versions of
Marsh Wren, and whether the bird I saw is more likely to be one than the
other. Unfortunately, it didn't sing, and I didn't see it well, so I can't
get to a subspecies ID on the bird I saw. In googling around, I found this
great article (link below) by Tony Leukering and Nathan Pieplow, which was
written in 2010. They say that during the breeding season, all our birds
are Western Marsh Wren. However, they, and one of their sources, note that
"northern form *iliacus *and the eastern *dissaeptus* should occur in
eastern counties in winter or during migration."

So, what have we learned since then? Has anyone had an Eastern Marsh Wren
along the Front Range in the winter? Is it safe to assume all the wintering
Marsh Wrens are Western?

Article:
https://cobirds.org/CFO/ColoradoBirds/InTheScope/25.pdf

John Jones