Date: 12/31/17 9:30 am
From: James V Remsen <najames...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] How to make a CBC summary report from your eBird list(s)
LABIRD: many or most of us do eBird our CBC lists, and those of us who break up our CBC lists into 2 or more lists of fewer than 5-miles (eBird Best Practices policy for mapping bird data) are faced with combining multiple lists into a single report to give to the compiler. Not sure if the following is simpler than doing it by hand, but it definitely avoids having to add two more columns by hand. The following takes just a couple of minutes (minus any additional cosmetic formatting) and also produces a spreadsheet that may be handy for the beleaguered compilers:

In My eBird under My Checklists

1. Click “Summarize MyObservations”
2. Click “Week Report” and the date of your CBC.
3. Select the localities from displayed list
4. Hit “Species Totals” tab on the right end of the subsequent display of species and numbers
5. Hit “Download this report”
6. Create a new Workbook in Excel
7. Under “File” menu, hit “Import” (in Mac anyway)
8. Click “Text File” and “Import” and grab the downloaded text file from eBird and follow the steps (e.g. “Delimited” and “Tab” and “General” and “Finish”

Presto, you have list in eBird order with the Species Count column being the sum of your lists’ totals for that species.

Then, just delete superfluous columns and text.

Dr. J. V. Remsen
Prof. of Natural Science and Curator of Birds
Museum of Natural Science/Dept. Biological Sciences
LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
najames<at>LSU.edu

Join us on Facebook!