Date: 12/31/17 8:26 am
From: Tom Brobson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Christmas Bird count - Clover Hollow Christmas Tree Farm - Newport, VA - Giles County) Saturday 12/30/2017
We were happy to conduct our annual Christmas Bird Count on the tree farm (Newport, VA - Giles county) yesterday (our farm and adjacent properties - from 2300' to about 2800') and to be joined by two intrepid birders: Beth Lancaster and Jennie McCoy.  Intrepid because the winds were howling, the temps were steady and then falling from the mid-20s and the birds - contrary to typical behavior seemed to keep wanting to be seen in the most exposed windy locations - thank you to both!!!!
Highlights of the day included a very inquisitive winter wren, 20+ pine siskins, a hermit thrush, yellow-rumped warblers, purple finches and both types of kinglets.  The full-list for the farm (with some notable absences that we attribute to the wind and weather) is included below...39 species for the day:

Red-tailed hawk -1

Black Vulture - 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 15

Yellow-bellied sapsucker – 3