Date: 12/31/17 6:52 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Portland CBC, preliminary results
I think Terry Wahl and I were hogging all the Eurasian Wigeon on the
Coquille Valley count, we had 17 (!) at Johnson Mill Pond south of Coquille
(only two females) along with close to 13,000 American Wigeon (would be
interesting to photograph the pond from above and get a real
accurate number on the ducks there). There was about 1,000 other waterfowl
there also as the valley has so little water in it. Also 7 Swamp Sparrows
there. We ended up with 92 species in the Norway bottoms area which is not
in sight of the ocean. Harv Schubothe will more have count details. Was a
great day and a fun countdown!

Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay

On Saturday, December 30, 2017, candace larson <acecandace...> wrote:

> Greetings, OBOLers
>
> What a difference a day makes! The 92nd Portland CBC was held today under
> very pleasant skies. Over 240 field observers found 129 species--11 more
> than last year, and yet more may emerge as Feeder Watcher reports get
> sorted through. Thank you, thank you to the Area Leaders: Colby Neuman, Dan
> Strong, Lynn Herring, Lori Hennings, and Joe Liebezeit. They did a
> tremendous job organizing this year's robust volunteer corps, and the
> effort paid off with some great birds.
>
> The day's “best” bird was a Virginia's Warbler, a new species for the CBC.
> Casey Cunningham earned the coveted Eagle Eye award, for spotting this bird
> back in November, keeping it fed and watered all this time, and welcoming
> so many happy birders to view it. Thank you, Casey!
>
> Other excellent birds included Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Gray Jay, Clark's
> Grebe, Burrowing Owl and Black Scoter. Surprising misses included Eurasian
> Wigeon, a bird the count has dipped on for three years running. Wink and I
> will be sorting through the mountain of Feeder Watcher reports over the
> next couple of weeks, so it's possible something else will arise in the
> upcoming number-crunching phase. I'll keep you posted.
>
> Meanwhile, Happy New Year and Good Birding!
>
> Cheers, Candace Larson

Join us on Facebook!