Date: 12/30/17 9:27 pm
From: Oscar Harper <oeharper3...>
Subject: [obol] A few good Newport birds (Yaquina CBC)
Hello all,

I took part in the Yaquina Bay CBC today with Hendrik Herlyn and Kai and
Ben Frueh. We covered part of the North Newport sector, from Yaquina State
Park and the North Jetty to Yaquina Head.

It was a fun count with beautiful weather, and we encountered a good
variety of birds. Our best sightings included one flyover WHITE-WINGED
CROSSBILL in a small flock of RED CROSSBILLS (a first for the count!) and
an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER at Yaquina State Park, a very cooperative LAPLAND
LONGSPUR at the base of the North Jetty, and a LONG-TAILED DUCK and 6
ANCIENT MURRELETS at Yaquina Head. We also had a total of 5 PEREGRINE
FALCONS, and later in the afternoon we counted 19 SNOWY PLOVERS at South
Beach.

This was my first time at the Newport Count, and it was a great experience.
I really enjoyed the countdown, and Dawn Harris did a wonderful job putting
it on!

Good birding, and I hope you all have a nice and safe New Year

Oscar

Join us on Facebook!