Date: 12/30/17 8:53 pm
From: Ryan Phillips <harpiabz...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] VERMILION FLYCATCHER Coyote Valley and other highlights
Hello Birders,An exceptional day out in Coyote Valley today (12/30) covering the Coyote Valley Sector for the Morgan Hill-Calero CBC.
At 14:22 our team had a MALE VERMILION FLYCATCHER at the corner of Palm Avenue and Dougherty Avenue. We watched it forage for 20 minutes and it successfully caught a cricket on the edge of the sod field and some crop rows near the large white container on Dougherty. It was on the fence inside the perimeter fencing that divided the sod and crops about 15 meters from the road. It then flew south down Dougherty and we lost sight of it.
Other highlights included:
SNOW GOOSE (Juvenile) mixed in with the Canada Geese off Bailey Avenue across from IBM (seen all day at multiple locations)
CACKLING GOOSE- 9 individuals mixed in with the 170 Canada Geese
LONG-BILLED CURLEW- 10 individuals foraging in the cattle pasture 40 meters NW of Palm Avenue ~200 meters from Fisher Creek
FERRUGINOUS HAWK- A light morph adult soaring NW of Palm Avenue over the field N of the CVOSP
TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS- Mixed in with over 4000 blackbirds observed today were 416 trikes
BALD EAGLE- 3rd/4th year individual at the ponds south of Bailey Avenue ~300 meters from the road
PRAIRIE FALCON being stooped by a MERLIN on the east end or Richmond Avenue
We had a 4 falcon day with a juvenile PEREGRINE FALCON near the junction of Bailey Avenue and Santa Teresa Blvd that stooped a Canada Goose flock in the field to the North

American Pipits were littering the valley with all the recent plowed and disced fields. May be a good place to look for longspurs
Two adult Golden Eagles were busy working Santa Teresa Blvd over Tulare Hill and the property to the west

While looking for Short-eared Owls (NO LUCK!) at dusk we observed 7 NORTHERN HARRIERS circling together low 1km south of Laguna Avenue gathering at a roost

The habitat was much different than last year and Coyote Valley has gone through a lot of land use changes, including many walnut orchards and reduction in nearly zero alfalfa.
Thanks to my great TEAM (David Mindell, Nicole Tomes-Orlale, Tom and Diane Bennett, and Dani Christensen). A very memorable day!

Thanks to the Hamels for leading this count now and Janna and Ann that lead the charge for so long on this important CBC. Kudos to all the counters.

Good Birding,Ryan

Ryan Phillips
Norcal Birding
www.norcalbirding.com

Adjunct Faculty and BiologistDe Anza College
Kirsch Center for Environmental Studies
Wildlife Science Technician Program

Belize Bird Conservancy
Hawk Watch Director www.belizebirdconservancy.org