Date: 12/30/17 7:18 pm
Subject: Re: eBird glitch -- high counts not showing on eBird
Thanks for the input, as well as input from three others.

So, there are TWO levels of review, instead of one. The* first* gets the
rare birds or high counts to show on the Hotspot listing (it took about 8
hours for that to happen with the Canvasbacks and Hooded Mergansers, but
they are there now), as well as a rare bird to show up on the CBC listing
-- such as the Harlequin Duck at Jennette's Pier. . The* second* is the
one that approves or rejects a sighting. For example, the reported
Yellow-throated Vireo in SC, almost certainly incorrect, has passed the
first level of review to get it onto the CBC listing. The second level will
certainly not accept this without a photo or lengthy written material.

Some people may now tell me that the first is not a review, but just an
automated delay in eBird in getting the data from your eBird report onto
the Hotspot listing. But, I had three people tell me that before a bird
that is a write-in or needs details for a high count can show up on the
Hotspot listing, it had to pass a review.

I believe that making sausage is easier to understand than the eBird review
process.

Harry LeGrand

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Lucas Bobay <lucasrbobay...> wrote:

> In eBird, if a species isn’t flagged as “rare” but you still trigger a
> filter for a high count, it will not show up on the ebird map or on the
> hotspot list until confirmed. It also won’t show up in the rare bird alert,
> because it is not a rare bird. As for the Least Sandpipers, they are
> flagged at 0 in Winter in that part of the coastal plain, so they will show
> up as “rare birds”. This is because they really only occur at few sites
> inland in winter. Hopefully this clears up some confusion.
>
> Lucas Bobay
> currently at the Lihue airport, Hawaii
>
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 4:45 PM Eddie Owens <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>
>> That does seem to be a glitch. However, my ebird list from this morning
>> does show the 14 Canvasbacks (including photos) & my list from yesterday
>> shows 320 HOMEs, for what it's worth.
>>
>> Eddie Owens
>> Cary nc
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 8:18 PM Harry LeGrand <carolinabirds...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For some reason, eBird will not show my counts of 300 Hooded Mergansers
>>> and 14 Canvasbacks from the Lake Crabtree Dam, this morning. It told me
>>> these were high counts and I needed to provide some details, which I did
>>> and checked the box. The totals of my 23 species DO show on my eBird list
>>> when you go to eBird, go to Lake Crabtree Dam, and then click on the 30 Dec
>>> 2017 date (in blue). That takes you to my list of 23 species, but the list
>>> on the screen for Lake Crabtree Dam shows that I had only 21 species today,
>>> and missing are Hooded Merganser and Canvasback!!!!! This is an error.
>>>
>>> Can someone explain why this glitch exists? I am sure it happens to
>>> others, but this is the first time this particular glitch has happened to
>>> me. eBird correctly flags and shows Ricky Davis's 520 Least Sandpipers and
>>> 12 Dunlins, not rare birds but certainly flagged as high counts where he
>>> needed to provide information, for Goldsboro. A reviewer has not checked
>>> these species as accepted, but clearly they will be.
>>>
>>> I don't want to stop entering data on eBird, but this is making me
>>> hesitant to continue doing it.
>>>
>>> Harry LeGrand

Join us on Facebook!