Date: 12/30/17 6:51 pm
Subject: Re: eBird glitch -- high counts not showing on eBird
In eBird, if a species isn’t flagged as “rare” but you still trigger a
filter for a high count, it will not show up on the ebird map or on the
hotspot list until confirmed. It also won’t show up in the rare bird alert,
because it is not a rare bird. As for the Least Sandpipers, they are
flagged at 0 in Winter in that part of the coastal plain, so they will show
up as “rare birds”. This is because they really only occur at few sites
inland in winter. Hopefully this clears up some confusion.

Lucas Bobay
currently at the Lihue airport, Hawaii

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 4:45 PM Eddie Owens <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> That does seem to be a glitch. However, my ebird list from this morning
> does show the 14 Canvasbacks (including photos) & my list from yesterday
> shows 320 HOMEs, for what it's worth.
>
> Eddie Owens
> Cary nc
>

> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 8:18 PM Harry LeGrand <carolinabirds...>
> wrote:
>
>> For some reason, eBird will not show my counts of 300 Hooded Mergansers
>> and 14 Canvasbacks from the Lake Crabtree Dam, this morning. It told me
>> these were high counts and I needed to provide some details, which I did
>> and checked the box. The totals of my 23 species DO show on my eBird list
>> when you go to eBird, go to Lake Crabtree Dam, and then click on the 30 Dec
>> 2017 date (in blue). That takes you to my list of 23 species, but the list
>> on the screen for Lake Crabtree Dam shows that I had only 21 species today,
>> and missing are Hooded Merganser and Canvasback!!!!! This is an error.
>>
>> Can someone explain why this glitch exists? I am sure it happens to
>> others, but this is the first time this particular glitch has happened to
>> me. eBird correctly flags and shows Ricky Davis's 520 Least Sandpipers and
>> 12 Dunlins, not rare birds but certainly flagged as high counts where he
>> needed to provide information, for Goldsboro. A reviewer has not checked
>> these species as accepted, but clearly they will be.
>>
>> I don't want to stop entering data on eBird, but this is making me
>> hesitant to continue doing it.
>>
>> Harry LeGrand

Join us on Facebook!