Date: 12/30/17 6:48 pm
From: Jed Hertz <jhh_60910...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Kankakee Valley CBC Results: New Record (Preliminary Total)
Hi all,
The Kankakee Valley CBC on Sat Dec 30th set the record for coldest, windiest, and snowiest in our history.  We also set a new preliminary record species count of 82 (Old record of 80 set in 2010).  Most telling was the waterfowl count of 16 species compared to our usual count of less than 10 species.  Minimal open water below the Kankakee Dam and the effluent outlet at Kankakee Metro-Sewer attracted a record number of species.
Species of note included Tundra and Trumpeter Swan, Sandhill Crane, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Peregrine Falcon, Northern Shrike, and Pine Siskin.
A few misses included: Pied-billed Grebe, Northern Harrier, and Cedar Waxwing.  But Hey! we're not complaining.
How's that for turning lemons into lemonade.
Cheers all, Jed Hertz
Kankakee, Kankakee Co, IL (60 mi South of Chicago)
Photos/Videos:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhertz/
Data: http://ebird.org/content/ebird
Birdscaping: http://bringingnaturehome.net/

Join us on Facebook!