Date: 12/30/17 6:18 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Large Falcon fun facts...
In Peregrine Falcons, the Primary 9 (P9) is the longest, P8 is usually
second longest and P10 is next. The gives the impression of a very
pointed wing. The feather are also usually the same tone as the coverts
giving the impression of a uniformly dark underwing.

In Gyrfalcons, P9 is longest, but P8 and P7 are nearly as long and P6 is
also longer than P10. The attachment positions of P7 and P6 in the wing
obscure their actual lengths relative to P10, but contribute to the
impression that Gyrfalcons have a more blunt looking wing.

Female GYRF
https://www.fws.gov/lab/featheratlas/feather.php?Bird=GYRF_primary_ad_gray

Female PEFA
https://www.fws.gov/lab/featheratlas/feather.php?Bird=PEFA_primary_female_bluebk

Lee's bird appears to have a wing formula consistent with Gyrfalcon,
though I agree the head pattern is equivocal.

I will be out tomorrow roaming the dog infested wilds of the Youngs Bay
Dike looking to score photos of a greater resolution...

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!