Date: 12/30/17 6:12 pm
From: Tom SHANE <tom.shane...>
Subject: Scott Lake CBC
Everything in the house is falling apart at one time. A barely get one thing fixed and the next day something else goes south. So, just tonight I got the Scott Lake CBC species totalled and got a total species count. From memory I think we set a new record with 75 species. We had our usual crew from Garden City, along with our regular 5 star help from Dodge City, and a surprise drive in crew from Manhattan who really helped add some fabulous birds. Normally I'm happy with one good bird, but this year we had five. From a previous high count of 8 this fall, we finally located a single Pygmy Nuthatch. From four locations we ended up with 36 Red Crossbills. Two eastern species were found and photographed, both COUNTY RECORDS, a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk, and two Eastern Towhees. A rare southern wintering species that we have had in previous years was a Gray Catbird.
In the previous half dozen years during and after the drought we couldn't buy a sparrow. This year was absolutely amazing when it came to numbers. It was just the opposite for longspurs and horned larks with less than a thousand for each species. Waterbird numbers were a little above average giving us the shot at a record.
Tom Shane
Garden City

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to