Date: 12/30/17 5:39 pm
From: Lee Cain <lcain...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Gyrfalcon, Warrenton (video)
It has been pointed out that in some of the frame captures, the bird
appears to have a bold malar when it takes off. Having been right under the
bird, I am confident that this is an artifact of the shadow created by the
bird's beak and head with the sun behind it. This is not visible in the
earlier frames while the bird is facing me as I am approaching, when it has
a much fainter malar on the side facing the sun. When it flies, the dark
primary tips and high contrast between the primaries (with dark tips) and
the underwing coverts should be obvious and shows repeatedly on both wings
at different frozen angles. Then there is the broad hawk-like wing shape
and rounded wing tips that is also clear as it flies away.

Lee Cain
Astoria

--
Lee Cain