Date: 12/30/17 5:31 pm
From: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET L.Calumet area (Calumet City/Sandridge CBC) (12-30-17)
Margaret Baker, Cary Hillegonds, Libby Keyes & I covered parts of the Lake Calumet area of southeast Chicago & adjacent suburbs for the Calumet City-Sand Ridge CBC on Saturday (30 December 2017). Bitterly cold & windy, but we managed to end the day with a total of 47 bird species. Our most unexpected find was a TURKEY VULTURE (seen by Libby Keyes).

All ponds & wetlands were frozen over. The Calumet River was also frozen over, but barge traffic created openings in the ice attractive to gulls and waterfowl. The Bend of the Little Calumet River was completely open and filled with numerous water-associated bird species. Overall, our highlights included 1 TURKEY VULTURE, 6 BALD EAGLES (minimum count of birds identified as distinct individuals, but more may have been present), 2 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, 1 (THAYER'S) ICELAND GULL, 3 GREAT-BLACK-BACKED GULLS, and 1 BROWN CREEPER,  as well as FOX, SONG, WHITE-THROATED, & WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, plus 1 unexpected COMMON GRACKLE. Notable finds at the Bend of the Little Calumet River included 2,000 CANADA GEESE, 3 NORTHERN SHOVELERS, 220 MALLARDS, 3 AMERICAN BLACK DUCKS, 56 REDHEADS, 20 RING-NECKED DUCKS, 170 LESSER SCAUP, 14 BUFFLEHEADS, 30 COMMON GOLDENEYE, 55 COMMON MERGANSERS, 5 RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS, 5 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, & 13 AMERICAN COOTS.

AREAS COVERED-
Indian Ridge Marshes; Beaubien Woods Forest Preserve; Stony Island Landfills; Big Marsh; O’Brien Lock & Dam; Hegewisch neighborhood; Hegewisch Marsh; Calumet River; Deadstick Pond; Lake Calumet; Calumet Water Reclamation Plant; Bend of Little Calumet River.

Walter Marcisz
Chicago, Cook Co.

Posted by: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...>

<*> Your email settings: