Date: 12/30/17 5:33 pm
From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Sandhill Cranes in Southern Rapides Parish
Around 1 PM today - 12/30/17 - Lecompte, Louisiana CBC - I took Forestry Road (Parish Road 2) east over I-49 and turned right/south on Chickamaw Road [hey-that's what the map says!]. Within a half mile I saw a flock of over 100 Sandhill Cranes to the east of the road in a harvested cane field. They were several hundred yards from the road. This site was within view of the Feed Mill on US 167/71 well to the east. This was the approximate location where I found a much larger flock of cranes on 1 January 17 when doing the same "2016-17" CBC but looking west from the main highway area.

I mention this because individuals and groups from various areas come to Lecompte to look for Sandhill Cranes in January. So, if you cannot find the cranes at the "usual" sites along US 167/71, you might want to go to the west side of the agricultural area northwest of Lecompte.

Jay Huner

Join us on Facebook!