Date: 12/30/17 2:32 pm
From: Laguna Atascosa <laguna.atascosa...>
Subject: [texbirds] Short eared owl on Bahia Grande Bird Tour
Laguna Atascosa NWR--Bahia Grande Unit, Cameron, Texas, US
Dec 30, 2017 8:58 AM - 11:55 AM
Protocol: Traveling
7.0 mile(s)
Comments: Also saw 4 road runners, 2 caracara, 3 Harris hawks and 2
chachalacas on the way to Bahia Grande unit.
30 species
Northern Shoveler 1
Common Merganser 22 Clearly marked birds with white breast and black
heads for the males and gray with red heads for the females. Behavior very
much different from other species. Have seen species often in our home
state of Vermont.
Northern Bobwhite 9
Double-crested Cormorant 6
American White Pelican 73
Brown Pelican 7
Great Blue Heron 9
Great Egret 3
Snowy Egret 3
Tricolored Heron 2
Reddish Egret 4
White Ibis 1
Roseate Spoonbill 4
Northern Harrier 3
Harris's Hawk 1
Wilson's Plover 1
Long-billed Curlew 3
Marbled Godwit 1
Sanderling 8
Least Sandpiper 1
Solitary Sandpiper 1
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Ring-billed Gull 2
Short-eared Owl (Northern) 1 Large owl hunting during the day in large
open field. Seen well by members of our tour group. No facial tufts and
coloring like that of short-eared owl as seen in Kaufmann Field Guide.
Crested Caracara 3
American Kestrel 3
Eastern Phoebe 1
Curve-billed Thrasher 1
Savannah Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 1 Sparrow with white eye streak and chest streaks with a
central blotch on chest. Seen in open field.

--
If you would like to join us for a bird tour call 956-748-3607 for
reservations. The tours are on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 8:00

Nike Pappas
Intern, Visitor Services
Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge
Los Fresnos, TX
www.fws.gov/refuge/laguna_atascosa
956-748-3607
956-244-2019