Date: 12/29/17 11:15 pm
From: Troy Corman <aplomado...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] CEAZ: Carefree CBC - Area 3 Highlights - Eastern Bluebirds, Louisiana Waterthrush, and more
Today (29 Dec.), Ken DeBrosse and I participated in the Carefree CBC
surveying areas between Lower Camp Creek and Seven Springs Wash north of
Carefree/Scottsdale. In an area approx. 0.5 mi. east of the intersection of
Seven Springs Rd. and FR 562 (locally known as Humboldt Mt. Road) we
discovered at least two EASTERN BLUEBIRDS among scattered flocks of Western
Bluebirds as they came to small puddles formed in the exposed bedrock of an
open wash. This location is just east of the towering transmission lines
that cross the landscape. Most bluebirds flew in from the north where there
were scattered stands of juniper that they were likely foraging upon. Also
of note in this area were fair numbers of SAGE THRASHERS and a few
BLACK-CHINNED SPARROWS.

In Upper Camp Creek, where a paved section of Seven Springs Road is
adjacent to cabins among sycamores and cottonwoods, Ken discovered a
LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH. It was foraging along the creek below a home owner
listed as Tom Sell #46. His home is the first one on the right after going
around the gate that currently has a wreath and other holiday decorations
on it. It eventually did call loudly as it tossed leaves. Most home owners
in this area are quite friendly and welcome birders, but please remain on
the roads and gated drives and respect their privacy when visiting this
area.

After lunch we were joined by Cathy Wise and Amanda Sharette-Kay as we
surveyed lower Camp Creek. Considering the time of day, it was rather busy
with birds as we hiked down the road among more cabins/homes. Highlights
here included a first-year female NORTHERN PARULA, PAINTED REDSTART,
BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER, and PLUMBEOUS VIREO. Also of note in this
beautiful area were WHITE-BREASTED and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, with the
latter in the few Aleppo pines growing down there.

Hope to see you in the field...

Happy New Year,
Troy Corman
Phoenix, AZ