Date: 12/29/17 10:33 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [COBOL] eliminating the asterisks
Here is a list of the 5 Major League Baseball pitchers who won the most
games.

Wins Player

511 Cy Young

417 Walter Johnson

373 Christy Mathewson

373 Grover Alexander

363 Warren Spahn

Here is a list of the top 5 Major League pitchers who won the most games,

with some players not reporting their latest numbers (indicated by an
asterisk).

Wins Player

511 Cy Young

374* Walter Johnson

373 Christy Mathewson

363 Warren Spahn

347* Grover Alexander

Which list would you rather see?

[Of course, Major League Baseball has statisticians to keep track of
numbers, so the second scenario doesn't happen.]

-----------------------

We birders have a voluntary reporting system, so the second scenario can
happen.

At the start of the new year I will again solicit Oregon birders to send in
their Listing Results as of the end of 2017. I would like to encourage
folks who have not been sending in their current numbers to update their
tallies. You put in the effort to go birding; you kept track. Please share
your numbers with the rest of us.

Sending in Listing Results is not a statement of self worth or birding
knowledge. It's not bragging. It is simply a statement of FACT. " I saw X
number of species in region Y." Sharing numbers is just joining the party.

Of course, listing is optional. You don't have to keep lists to be a
birder. But if you did keep a list, please share. More complete Listing
Results lets us all see what is possible in various locales, with various
methods (like motorless, photography, etc)

Thanks,

Paul Sullivan