Date: 12/29/17 9:20 pm
From: Henry Armknecht <armknecht...>
Subject: Waconda CBC
Six birders (one short of the record of 7) in four parties braved the cold
and wind chill for the Waconda CBC on 12/27.

We were able to tally 84 species with some misses (Turkey, Kingfisher
Wigeon, Creeper Bluebird), but some great birds not always seen. We were one
short of the all-time high species count of 85 but well over the average of
71 for this count.

Red Crossbills found by Kevin Groeneweg were new for the count.

Six Greater Scaup were also first time for this count.

Two Snowy Owls were a high count for the species and only the second time
for this bird. Great-tailed Grackles were also seen for only the second
time with 550 blowing away the previous high count. Snow buntings have been
found on two previous counts.

We almost missed American Robin with 5 individuals seen and Chickadee with
just one seen.

Thank you to Jared, Kevin, Joe, Carolyn, and Scott for coming and helping
with the count.

Henry A

Hays

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html