Date: 12/29/17 9:10 pm
From: David Vander Pluym <scre...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] WAZ: Bill Williams River CBC and Mohave Valley/Davis Dam
Yesterday 28 Dec was the Bill Williams River CBC. I spent the morning birding the Mosquito Flats area and of note was a PLUMBEOUS VIREO, a briefly seen silent PACIFIC/WINTER WREN, and a rare for the river "Pink-sided" Dark-eyed Junco. Other teams report that it was rather quiet. I took some time in the afternoon to scan the Bill Williams Arm of Lake Havasu, of note was at least one continuing SURF SCOTER, continuing PACIFIC LOON, and a new RED-THROATED LOON.

Today was the Havasu CBC, best bird for my team as a locally rare Gray Flycatcher and word from other teams was not much was found. After covering our areas Lauen Harter, Winn Ketchum, and I headed north. In the Mohave Valley off Vanderslice Rd between Laguna and Willow Roads, we found a large area of dirt and partially flooded fields with large numbers of Horned Larks (1000+). Unfortunately, they were rather flighty and we weren't able to pin any large numbers of them on the ground. Lauren was able to get a quick look at a LONGSPUR in flight and with more time likely we would have found several.

Our final stop of the day was above Davis Dam. Here we had 3 SURF SCOTERS (all young males so at least some were new birds), and continuing 2 PACIFIC and one RED-THROATED LOON, and 3 RED-NECKED GREBES. Amazingly we had no Common Loons. Good birding.

David Vander Pluym
Lake Havasu City