Date: 12/29/17 7:04 pm
From: <jeannehedges...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Scott Cty today
Very nice day! Hadn't even left Buffalo and saw the resident Coopers, then
a barred owl just outside of town. Went down along the Mississippi on
Concord and saw a ring-necked duck, a couple of canvasbacks, a common
merganser, several common goldeneyes amid a bunch of mallards and a
good-sized flock of pelicans. Then found the largest bunch of eagles I've
ever seen scattered under the 280 bridge on the ice, sitting in trees, lots
of successful fishing. I think there must have been around 75 of them.

Went on down the road and found three pileated woodpeckers.

Kept on going down to L&D 14 and there wasn't much going on there at all,
especially not compared to Concord. That was a surprise.

Wandered around the gravel roads up north along Lost Grove and Scott County
Park and somewhere in there found a short-eared owl we watched for quite
some time sitting on a corn stalk.

Driving was a little hairy, but it was certainly worth it.

Jeanne
Buffalo, IA