Date: 12/29/17 2:51 pm
From: David Nickerson <davidnickerson...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Swamp Sparrow, Barrow's Goldeneye
All,

This morning Chris Johnson and I birded Palo Alto Baylands at high tide (~9am). After some searching and patience we were able to find the continuing SWAMP SPARROW near the location where it has been previously reported. Chris first located it in the vegetation near the large bush along the trail, but we only got a brief glimpse as it hunkered down for the next several minutes. Later, I re-found it a bit farther south in some fennel near the trail, and it hopped across to the fence briefly for some diagnostic photos. We also had a PEREGRINE FALCON atop one of the power towers, and 2 RIDGEWAY'S RAILS in the pickleweed near Byxbee Park.

I headed on to Shoreline afterward, and to my delight found the (continuing?) BARROW'S GOLDENEYE in the northwest section of Shoreline Lake with a handful of Common Goldeneyes. This is probably the same bird seen here earlier this month, but that individual has not been reported since 12/23, so who knows. Also had about 40 REDHEAD in pond A1, and a single WILSON'S SNIPE on the north shore of the forebay.

eBird checklists here:

Great birding, and Happy New Year, everyone!

David Nickerson
San Jose

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional