Date: 12/29/17 12:33 pm
From: c hardcastle <chhardcastle...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] White Tailed Kites at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve
Yesterday on 12/28/2017, Sue Henry and I were birding at BCER with out of town relatives.   I had been alerted to the presence of a white tailed kite by another birder, which we found perched in the "osprey tree" north of the observation area on the farside of the walk bridge.  This WTKI was flushed by a Northern Harrier that was then chased out of the area by the WTKI.  Later in the morning, we saw not one but TWO white tailed kites perched in the same dead tree located in the center of Rabbit Island.  A distant photo is included in our ebird report with one apparently enjoying lunch. I am not sure of the history of WTKIs at BCER, but based on our short birding experiences over the past three years or so when we had not seen a WTKI at BCER,  the observation of one was a surprise treat, but two were exponentially more so awesome.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/ checklist/S41388828

Calvin HardcastleIrvine

Join us on Facebook!