Date: 12/29/17 12:12 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Continuing Birds
After being away for a few days, I decided to bolster my year list with a
little chasing.

At sunrise, I found no sign of the Swamp Sparrow, and then headed for Sutro
Baths, where I saw David Assman down by the pools, but no teal. After a
short seawatch, I heard David call to me, and as I walked down the hill,
saw the drake Cinnamon Teal swimming along the edge of the baths. David
said it had been feeding deep in the foliage before emerging.

Bob Gunderson was present too, and we later met up by the Beach Chalet to
try again for the sparrow. It took awhile, but eventually I heard the bird
exactly where Dom described it being on count day, in the somewhat wild
plantings south of the Chalet and west of the soccer fields, just north of
where a paved path from the Great Highway merges with the north-south path
behind the chalet. Bob and David both obtained record shots of the bird,
despite it being quite skulky.

Very nice to have a two-city-year-bird day this late in the season, as well
as experiencing good teamwork in the field. Thanks to Sam for discovering
the teal, and it's good to have Dom back in the finder's seat (even if I
didn't get to see the flycatcher).
Brian Fitch

Join us on Facebook!